Kaslo, Small but Mighty
You'll be delighted by this quaint mountain village, right on the shore of Kootenay Lake. Nestled in a lush valley, and surrounded by the Selkirk and Purcell Mountains, this charming place is home to only 1,000 residents.
Kaslo may be small, but it sure is mighty! With heritage buildings lining the main downtown thoroughfare, boutique accommodation, pristine beaches and exceptional adventures - all within walking distance.
- Discover the world's oldest intact sternwheeler
- Browse boutique shops with local artisanal goods
- Sample craft beer and eat at delicious eateries
- Stroll through green beachside parks
- Forest bath along the Kaslo River Trail
- Paddle Kootenay Lake
- E-bike up into the forests
- Catch some museum culture
- Go to special events and festivals
- Chase waterfalls or summit peaks
Kaslo is full of adventure, just waiting to be found! Look at our online map and filter for your specific needs.
Celebrate the S.S. Moyie's 125th Birthday
2023 is a very special year, it's the year that the world’s oldest intact sternwheeler turns 125 years old.
After undergoing renovations, the S.S. Moyie is officially reopening on the Mother's Day weekend in May and remaining open until Canadian Thanksgiving in October.
- From late spring until late fall, this incredible piece of history is open daily for self-guided tours from 10am to 4pm.
- The Kaslo Visitor Centre opens and closes on the same dates as the S.S. Moyie and is open from 9am to 5pm daily.
Activities in Kaslo
Kaslo offers an abundance of activities and enjoyable experiences that will keep everyone entertained.
- Biking in the mountains near Meadow Creek.
Enjoy a round (or two) the Kaslo Golf Club. 2023 marks their 100th birthday.
- Paddling along Kootenay Lake or you can rent a boat from the Jones Boys Boats.
- In the winter, enjoy an adrenaline rush by doing a cat and/or heli skiing tour from a local company such as Stellar Heli Skiing.
Kaslo Heritage Sites
Kaslo first made its way onto the map in the late 1800s as a gold and silver mining hub. More than a century on, it has retained its historic charm and continues to lure visitors from far and wide for its iconic heritage sites.
- The S.S. Moyie – the world’s oldest intact sternwheeler – is a major attraction.
- Langham Cultural Centre, which recently won the BC Architecture Foundations “Best Building Award”, has maintained its status as a top cultural attraction since opening its doors in 1896.
Kaslo Festivals and Special Events
For a small town of 1000 people, Kaslo has an impressive line-up of festivals and events.
- Kaslo May Days feature Logger Sports, live music, food vendors and arts & crafts over the May long weekend.
- Canada Day on July 1. Homecoming ~ a community-wide celebration.
- The Kaslo Jazz Festival also draws music-lovers from far and wide in early August, as people come to see live music from international swing, blues and jazz musicians.
- At the end of August, iDIDaRide features mountain biking and running races to test every skill level and age category.
- S.S. Moyie Pirate Day on August 13, 2023. Enjoy a fun day for the whole family, with games, prizes, and entertainment.
- Cultural and theatre events at the Langham Cultural Centre.
Looking for more in Kaslo? Visit our Events Calendar and select Kaslo under the Community drop down menu.
Winter in Kaslo
Winter in Kaslo is picturesque, with snow capped mountains and an idyllic village warmth. There's plenty of fun to be had inside and outside during this time of year.
- If you enjoy the outdoors, there is incredible cat and heli skiing that can be found in Kaslo.
- There are well maintained cross country skiing trails.
- Lots of trails and hikes for snow shoeing.
- The Kaslo Winter in the Forest festival is in February, and always a winter wonderland time for family visits.
Mountain Biking in Kaslo
Kaslo is renowned among thrill-seekers and leisure cyclists alike, drawing them in with stunning landscapes that will leave you in awe. There's a variety of trails available that cater to all levels of difficulty, ranging from heart-pumping extremes to tranquil paths.
- Beginners will find the 20 kilometer Wagon Road Trail, running from Kaslo to Retallack (halfway to New Denver), to be an excellent choice.
- For an exhilarating challenge, The Monster awaits – a thrilling 11 kilometer round trip boasting steep jumps and technical sections that reignite the love for this sport.
- Check out Kaslo E-Kruise / North Kootenay Bike Shop where you can rent an entry level electric mountain bike for your next adventure.
- Support the Kaslo trails by donating to the Kaslo Mountain Bike Club. You can donate on their site or through Trail Karma.
Hiking near Kaslo
Kaslo’s mountainous terrain and impressive scenery makes it an ideal place for hiking and day treks. There are trails for all fitness levels and capabilities, and treks ranging from 1km to 19kms, so something for even the busiest schedule.
- Nearby Fletcher Falls is definitely worth a visit, having been recognized as one of Canada’s top 10 waterfalls by Canada EH Travel Guide.
- The Kaslo River Trail is a beautiful trail, winding along the burbling river and mossy banks. Enhance your experience by downloading the Kootenay Lake Road Trip App and selecting the Kaslo River Trail Tour.
- The Kaslo Lookout Trail is a short switchback trail with a bench at the top and lovely view over Kaslo Bay.
- Lyle Lakes/Brennan offers access to three subalpine lakes, glowing mineral-blue and suspended between braided waterfalls. If you want to break a sweat, the trail beyond to Mount Brennan’s 2900m summit offers a challenging hike with staggering views.
Kaslo has a variety of dining options for a small town, ranging from pub fare to sidewalk cafes. They even have a craft brewery, Angry Hen that is constantly evolving and producing some of the best beer in the Kootenay region.
Download the App
If you’re looking for something unique to do in Kaslo, then look no further than then our self-guided Kaslo River Trail Tour. As you walk, you’ll learn fun facts about the trail and you'll also be taken on a forest bathing journey where you will be mesmerized with poetic meditations and music that will enhance the experience.
Places to Stay in Kaslo
There is accommodation for every style of traveller in Kaslo. Whether you're looking for something affordable or more bougie, you're bound to find the right place.
- The Kaslo Hotel is a recently renovated hotel on Front Street overlooking Kootenay Lake, with full dining and wheelchair accessibility.
- Just off of Front Street, the Kaslo Motel provides clean, quaint private cabins and rooms.
- Wing Creek Resort is a beautiful 5 minute drive outside of Kaslo, with private cabins for the perfect quiet getaway (no kids or pets allowed).
- The Sentinel is a lakefront retreat & wellness centre just outside of Kaslo that is a must experience during your vacation.
- Mystic Mountain is a sanctuary of peace, providing retreat and renewal experiences in peaceful rural surroundings.
There are a number of lodges, some with views of the lake or Kaslo River, others nestled in the forest:
- True Blue Lodge
- Kaslo Manor Lodge
- Bougainville Lodge
- Kootenai Hideaway
- Retallack Lodge
- Sunny Bluffs Chalets.