Work With Us
Executive Director, Nelson Kootenay Lake Tourism
The purpose of the NKLT Destination Marketing Organization is to market and promote tourism in the region to encourage, develop and create economic growth that enriches the quality of life.
Reporting to the Board of Directors of the Nelson Kootenay Lake Tourism Society (NKLT), the Executive Director will be responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Destination Marketing Organization, as well as the development, coordination and implementation of the yearly marketing and sales plan and budget. The incumbent will be the principal point-of-contact for NKLT, its primary advocate, and will champion its development, strategic priorities and individual initiatives. This is a full-time position.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Build and maintain a positive work environment, where team members can work cooperatively and express their talents to facilitate a culture that benefits the promotion of NKLT as an organization and as a great place to work.
- Work with the Board of Directors, to set the strategic direction and business plan including organizational goals and objectives, and implement the annual tactical plan.
- Administer the MRDT Program including annual reporting requirements.
- Oversee general administrative duties of NKLT, including scheduling of Board meetings, meeting notices, agendas, government filings etc.
- Coordinate the agenda for Board meetings with the Board president, record and maintain the minutes for meetings.
- Represent NKLT at external functions and maintain active involvement in the community to enhance the visibility, reputation and value of NKLT.
- Serve as the official spokesperson for any media inquiries and maintain positive relationships with local media.
- Build and maintain strong community partnerships and stakeholder relations.
- Develop and implement annual marketing plan and promotional calendar.
- Manage and maintain a dynamic online presence via NKLT website and social media channels.
- Report to and update the NKLT Board on a monthly (or otherwise agreed) basis on issues affecting the operation and development of the Society, including a regular progress report.
- Exercise all necessary general administrative duties Human Resource Management.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to NKLT staff and contractors.
- Create organizational capacity by engaging staff and/or contractors as required.
- Ensure internal systems and processes are maintained including IT and payroll.
- Make sure staff evaluations are documented and kept up to date.
Financial Planning and Implementation
- Prepare and develop proposals to secure additional external funding for key marketing initiatives.
- Manage + maintain a detailed and accurate annual budget with monthly reporting to NKLT Board of Directors.
- Maintain vendor relations and reconcile media and promotional spending against annual budget.
Community + Media Relations
- Establish good working relations and collaborative partnerships with community groups, funders, politicians and other organizations to assist the NKLTA achieve its goals.
- Be the first point of contact for all internal and external stakeholders, the media, other DMO bodies, municipalities, and potential and actual business partners.
- Ensure that the NKLT meets its requirements under due diligence as a legal Society and DMO.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant legislation concerning taxation, payroll and remittance, and communicate with government offices as necessary.
- Degree or Diploma in business, marketing communications, tourism/recreation or combination of education and relevant experience.
- 3-5 years senior management experience with direct experience effectively managing a team in a customer service or marketing focused business.
- Experience working for or with a Board of Directors, understanding of board governance practices.
- Experience working with or for a non-profit organization.
- Effective and engaging human resource practices and leadership skills to build and maintain a strong team.
- Financial management and budgeting experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including presentation and public speaking.
- Project management and reporting experience.
We offer a competitive compensation package including a salary that ranges from $70,000 - $85,000 (based on education & relevant experience), benefits, flexibility in terms of work location and schedule, as well as, perks related to working in the tourism industry.
Apply by emailing a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
This posting will remain open until the position is filled.