Shuttles & Public Transit
- Kootenay Charters offers chartered airport shuttles, recreation & event shuttling, transportation in and around the Nelson and Kootenay Lake region.
- Kootenay Gateway offers private charters for groups and functions and trips to Spokane Airport and trips between Nelson and Rossland in the winter.
- West Kootenay Adventure Tours operates tours all year round and airport shuttle service.
- Silver City Stage Lines runs from Nelson to Kelowna varying days of the week.
- Mountain Man Mike's offers shuttles to and from Kaslo and Calgary once a week.
- East Shore Transportation Society located on the East Shore, runs charters for events and group tours.
Nelson to Spokane Winter Shuttle
Kootenay Gateway will offer custom shuttle services to and from the Spokane International Airport as per the land border re-opening. Beginning in December, and running throughout the ski season, usually until March, they will offer trips Nelson to Rossland to Spokane Airport Thursday through Sunday. Custom shuttles can be booked outside of scheduled times by contacting them directly.
West Kootenay Regional Transit — Public Bus System
The public transit system in the Nelson and Kootenay Lake region is convenient, inexpensive and reliable. Bus stops are located in easy to reach areas and run often. All regional buses are also bike-friendly, making this combination a handy alternative to driving. There is regular service within the city of Nelson, as well as service along Kootenay Lake all the way to Balfour. Exact schedules do change with the seasons, so check the official schedule for exact travel information.
Towards Balfour and the North Shore
The bus route travelling along Kootenay Lake toward Kaslo is called the “North Shore”. This route goes regularly between downtown Nelson at Ward Street and the Balfour Ferry, with several stops in between. Additional service to and from Kaslo is available.
Holding the title as the longest free ferry ride in the world, The Kootenay Lake Ferry takes 35 minutes to cross from Balfour to Kootenay Bay. Different schedules apply for winter and summer months and the M.V Balfour also operates in the summer months to meet additional demand.
Glacier Cab Company shuttles people to and from the Castlegar Airport, around Nelson and up and down Kootenay Lake. They can be reached at 250-354-1111.
We have lots information on borders, ferries, roads, airports, rideshare and distances between our region and yours. Check out our Getting Here page and if you have questions email firstname.lastname@example.org