You are here
Our region spans from Nelson to Meadow Creek along the west side of Kootenay Lake including the communities of Balfour, Ainsworth Hot Springs, Kaslo and Meadow Creek.
September 11, 2017: The skies are blue blue blue and clear. The rain and wind on the weekend cleared up the skies. We are thankful for the good weather, but are still hoping for more rain. The forecast varies throughout the week, with high 20C Monday to Wednesday, then rain and cooling temparatures for the rest of the week.
Know Before You Go
As you may know, some areas of British Columbia are currently dealing with wildfires. However, British Columbia is a very large and diverse province, and there are many areas that are not impacted and are open for business.
These links provide up-to-date important information for travellers, as needed: weather, roads, ferries, air quality, fires, alerts, local news, facebook, etc.
- Interactive Map of all fires in BC
- Weather - Environment Canada
- Air Quality (Castlegar is the closest point of resource)
- FireSmoke.ca - shows weather patterns of smoke in Canada
- RDCK (Regional District of Central Kootenay) - local news and updates
- RDCK Alerts - sign up
- NKLT Social Media Pages
- DriveBC is the best source for information on road closures or delays
Current Wildfire Information - Update for Travellers
There are active fires in the region. This BC map shows proximity of fires to communites and highways. There are Alerts but no Evacuations impacting travellers as of September 6, 2017 in the Nelson and Kootenay Lake region. Smoke concentrations will vary widely throughout the region as winds, fire behaviour and temperatures change.
- To help you get around and locate all the amenities in the region use our interactive map
- Wondering what's happening - check out our digital calendar
Safe travels and if you have any questions, or comments about content on this page please email us at email@example.com or call us at 250-352-7879. The Kaslo and Nelson Visitor Centres are also very knowledgeable resources. Please visit or contact them directly.