Tips & Trips
The Kootenay Lake Road Trip App is a new experience offering fun and informative self-guided audio tours around Kootenay Lake. You can enjoy the tours in the privacy of your car, walking or even on your bike.
Download the App Now!
Want a sneak peak?
If you would like a sneak peak of the Kootenay Lake Road Trip App tours, check them out now, on desktop, before you start to explore.
You can experience the Mural Tour and Crawford Bay Artisan Tour in both English and French. Click the tour below, then go to the settings button in the bottom right corner of the screen and choose the language of your choice.
- The Driving Tour features over 100 points of interest all around our region. Start the tour from anywhere around Kootenay Lake BC.
- The Mural Tour, in both English and French, highlights nearly 50 of the best murals in Nelson BC. You can start and finish wherever you like.
- The Kaslo River Trail Tour, is a unique experience that will guide you on a forest bathing journey along the trail in Kaslo BC.
- The Crawford Bay Artisan Tour, in both English and French, takes you on a fun walking tour, right into these unique artisans' studios on the East Shore.
The Driving Tour tells the story of Kootenay Lake from forests to First Nations, and attractions to amenities. If you are curious to learn about the best things to see and do in the Kootenays you are in the right place; with over 180km of gorgeous highway driving, close to 100 sights and both sounds and stories that can be enjoyed from either direction. We have created an informative journey that fits with your travels. Start the tour from anywhere around Kootenay Lake and you can use the app for as long or as short as you'd like.
HARROP-PROCTER TOUR - NEW
Get ready to experience the latest addition to the Driving Tour on the Kootenay Lake Road Trip App. Take the charming cable ferry across the lake where you will find yourself in the tiny lake-side communities of Harrop and Procter. Here you will learn about the fascinating history and progressive present day initiatives that these communities have to offer.
In partnership with the Nelson International Mural Festival we have created a self-guided mural tour with nearly 50 of the best murals tucked into alleys and side streets around Nelson BC. The Mural Tours are available in both French and English. To choose which language, go to Settings at the bottom of the App and choose your language of choice.
The murals can be experienced starting anywhere you prefer. Meander around, stop for some food & beverage, or do some shopping, and carry-on at your own pace. Visit our Events Calendar for details about the next Nelson Mural Festival.
Kaslo River Trail Tour
Let us take you on journey along the Kaslo River Trail that flows beside the lively Kaslo River with mossy banks, bright bridges and hidden sculptures, all unveiled to capture your curiosity. Local character Dan from KORTS (Kaslo Outdoor Recreation & Trails Society), will guide you along the path with fun facts and history about the Kaslo River Trail. Kaslo musician, Diemm, will mesmerize you with poetic meditations and music to enhance the magical experience. This unique tour can be enjoyed all-year-round. Be sure to pack your cleats and hiking poles in the winter for extra stability along the sometimes steep and slippery sections of the trail. We hope you enjoy the tour as much as we did creating it.
Meet the Musician: Diemm
Crystalline vocals. Lyrics like arrows. Ethereal folk harp. Diemm is a harp-playing singer-songwriter and spoken word poet, dreaming aloud. She plays original Chamber Folk music: mythic, hypnotic, positively entrancing. Her poetry may weave new layers between your conscious and subconscious minds. She says, “I don’t write poetry, it writes me.”
Crawford Bay Artisan Tour
Explore the eclectic community of Crawford Bay and discover the quirky artisans that call this place home. Enjoy this self-guided walking tour while you browse locally made goods like handmade brooms and ceramics, to intricate metalwork and textiles. Listen to the local tour guides as they share what inspires the artisans, a little local history, and their top East Shore travel tips. Who said the arts can't be both fun and informative? Learn more on our story page.
MEET YOUR TOUR GUIDES
Ruth and Shelby are lifelong best friends and neighbours in the Kootenays. You can find them living their best lives in their tiny homes, whether it's playing with their pets or lounging on their clover lawn in their crocs. Find out more about this entertaining duo and follow along with their joyful adventures on Tiktok and Instagram at @tinyinthekootenays.
Did you enjoy the tour?
Once you've finished the Crawford Bay Artisans Tour, enter your details below to be entered to win. Entries close at the end of September 2023. You could win this awesome prize package, provided by the artisans in the tour:
- Dogpatch Pottery handmade ceramic mug
- North Woven Broom artisan broom
- Barefoot Handweaving hand woven teatowel
- Gala Jewelry pendant made from a stone from Kootenay Lake
- Norse Arts carved wooden and stained glass ornaments
- FireWorks Copper Enamel pendant
- Kootenay Forge metal heart hook
How To Use The App
The Kootenay Lake Road Trip app is easy to use. Download the free app, select start, turn up the volume, and hit the road! The audio tour plays while you drive, automatically telling you about the area, and even plays local music for your driving pleasure. Follow the steps below for more details.
- Download the Kootenay Lake Road Trip App from Google Play or the Apple App Store.
- Allow the app to Use your Location Always (we don't collect any information on your location, this is just for GPS functionality).
- Turn on Push Notifications (this is so the app is able to tell you about points of interest even if your phone is locked).
- All points are Geo-fenced, therefore audio will automatically play once you reach a point.
- IMPORTANT: Check for Updated Content by selecting Profile, located at the bottom of the screen, and clicking on the cog icon.
- Start the tour and enjoy! Focus on the road or path ahead, we will take care of the rest.
What is everyone saying about the best touring app in BC?
THINGS TO DO
There is no shortage of things to do in the region, before or after your tour. Get off the bike or out of the car and go explore - shopping, dining, attractions and more. Is it looking gloomy outside? We've got you covered with our top rainy day things to do around Kootenay Lake. We've even created some itineraries based on your traveller type. Explore our trip ideas before heading out.
Enjoy the Tours
Let us know what you think of the tours. Your feedback will allow us to continue improving the app and develop new tours. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Frequently Asked Questions
To assist you in using the App here are some quick answers to your potential questions.
- Where do I go in Nelson to do the entire tour?
If you want to do the entire tour, starting in Nelson, go to 71 Baker Street, in Railtown at the Visitor Information Centre.
- Where do I go in North Kootenay Lake to do the entire tour?
If you want to do the entire tour, starting from Northern Kootenay Lake, head about 2km north of Duncan Dam Road in Meadow Creek, BC.
- Where do I go in Wynndel to do the entire tour?
If you want to do the entire tour, starting from Wynndel on the East Shore, head about 2km south of the Fas Gas in Wynndel, BC.
- Will there ever be more tours?
We certainly hope so! If you have suggestions for what you’d like to see a tour of, feel free to let us know.
- Why isn’t the map working?
Please ensure you have allowed location services for the app. We don’t collect any of this information, it just allows the tour to work properly based on your location.
- Why isn’t the audio working?
Please ensure you have push notifications turned on for the app. This is how we provide you with information live, as you reach POIs.
- Can I change the language of the tour?
Currently the driving tours are only offered in English. If you wish to do the mural tour in French, you can change the language in the Settings tab in the bottom right.
- Do I need reception to take a tour?
Nope! However you do need a data-supporting connection (Wifi or 3g, 4g, etc) to download the tour. From there, all it requires is the GPS signal of your phone to function properly.
- Why isn’t *insert POI* on the tour?
We’ve tried our best to capture as many amazing things as possible on these tours, but obviously things can be missed or there just isn’t enough space. If you have a suggestion for an addition, please feel free to let us know!
- Why are points getting cut off while I’m driving?
The tour has been designed around driving the posted speed limit. If you drive faster, then there isn’t as much time to tell you about all of the wonderful things you’re seeing! If you notice anything that is cut off despite driving the speed limit, please let us know.
- Can my music play while doing the Tour?
Spotify and other music apps will play while using the App, however Carplay with radio playing are not yet compatible.