World-class skiing in rural paradise
- Downhill skiing: Whitewater Ski Resort is the area's best kept secret, with top quality runs and huge snowfalls ensuring the resort competes with the best.
- Backcountry skiing: beautiful terrain and numerous mountain passes are expertly served by several mountain guide companies.
- Cat and Heli skiing: deep powder, incredible terrain, and five cat ski companies in the area combine to make Nelson and Kootenay Lake the Cat Ski Capital of the world.
- Nordic skiing: from the nordic ski club's trails just 10 minutes outside Nelson, to networks of trails accessible near many towns and villages, cross-country skiing is right on your doorstep.
- Other winter activities are part of our region: curling, skating, snowshoeing, toboganning, hockey, fat tire biking and snowmobling. Come out and enjoy!
Don't just take our word for it...
Read in the New York Times about The Powder Highway, the stretch of road that meanders through various Kootenay ski destinations, places that host some of the best skiing on the planet.
Before venturing into the mountains be sure to check Avalanche Canada and DriveBC for snow conditions. There are lots of backcountry and avalanche awareness courses available and local guides to help make your trip as enjoyable and safe as possible.