A Dog-Friendly Destination
A Dog-Friendly Destination
Bringing Fido along for the ride? There are plenty of places to stay and things to do with your furry friends. As always, make sure to follow all posted signs regarding dog protocol, have leashes and pick up after your pooches.
There's nothing better than sharing your living space with your pet. These accommodations allow dogs, but ask for details and fees when booking.
- Acorn Guest House: This is a gorgeous little getaway in Balfour, perfect for privacy and relaxing out of the limelight. It also has a huge yard for any pets you may have!
- The Kaslo Motel: Situated right in downtown Kaslo, the Kaslo Motel allows pets. Ask about their rates for pet-friendly rooms.
- The Adventure Hotel: This funky hotel in downtown Nelson absolutely adores pets. Every one of their rooms is available with pets for an additional rate.
- Alpine Inn and Suites: The little suites at the Alpine Inn are too sweet, and they allow pets too! Call and ask about rates for pups.
- Savoy Hotel: This gorgeous new hotel allows dogs too! Located at the end of Baker Street, this place is a great stay.
- Hume Hotel & Spa: If heritage charm is your cup of tea this is the place for you! Right in the heart of downtown Nelson, this hotel is sure to serve all your Old Time-y needs, while doing it with class and elegance.
- Kokanee Glacier Resort: Located off Highway 3A, on the gorgeous drive along the Kootenay lake shore, this charming resort allows pets, has a volleyball net, kids playground and rents kayaks!
- Prestige Lakeside Resort: This gorgeous lake view resort allows dogs, and is right next to the entrance of the nelson Dog Walk!
- Best Western Plus Baker Street Inn: A short walk from the Nelson Visitors Centre, this hotel allows pets and is extremely close to the downtown core of Nelson’s business area.
- Kokanee Chalets: A-frame chalets, motel, & campground in Crawford Bay.
- Camping: Most campsites in our region welcome pups for overnight stays and some have off-leash portions of beach.
If you love our area, there's a good chance your dog will too! This area has one of the most beautiful waterfront dog parks we've ever seen and when you visit local businesses you'll notice many businesses offering bowls of water and even treats for your furry friend!
- Take a hike:
- Sproule Creek Trail: Frequent this trail in any season with your dog! It is, and can be used, for mountain biking, horseback riding, cross-country skiing, and hiking.
- Pulpit Rock: A favourite among locals, try hiking this short, steep trek if you’re looking to sweat with your canine friend.
- Pilot Bay Provincial Park: extensive hiking trails throught the park. Dogs must be on-leash.
- Nelson Dog Walk: Want something more leisurely? Come to the Dog Walk, located between the Prestige Lakeshore Resort, and the west entrance of the Airport. Complete with dog beach and marshes, your pup is sure to have a good time, whether you’re throwing sticks, or meeting the other pups along the trail.
- Kokanee Creek Provincial Park: Take your dog for a stroll on the leash through this gorgeous, green, provincial park, or even camp with them! Plus, there’s a dog beach located just around the corner beside the boat launch at the north-east end of the park.
- Walk or Bike Nelson's Rail Trail: Are you an avid biker? Why not bring your pooch along! Take the Rail to Trails path from mountain station, and enjoy speeding through the luscious, green, forest.
- Buchanan Lookout Trail Kaslo: With a little bit of driving you and your pooch can get to this trail and take-in the beautiful views. However, the road up should not be driven by low-hanging vehicles, campers, or motorhomes.
- Kaslo River Trail: A spectacular leisure trail for the entire family. Relax with your pup and explore the forest and shoreline.
- Mountain Biking: If your pup is up for it pick a local trail and head out. Check out our mountain biking page for more info.
- Get The Gram: Find some of the most gorgeous backdrops the area has to offer with your pooch! Go on a scavenger hunt to find each fantastic location.
- Well-behaved dogs on leashes can be frequently seen with their owners strolling Nelson’s downtown.
- Paws For A Cause Dog Walk: Take part in this annual dog walk to end animal cruelty from Lakeside Park to the Prestige Lakeside Resort, in early September. This is one of the only times Lakeside Park allows dogs! Plus you’ll be supporting a good cause.
- Cross-country Ski: if you plan to visit with your pooch in the winter take in some cross-country skiing at the Kaslo Nordic Club. Try these snowy trails if your pup loves the snow!
Just make sure to pick up after your pooch to help keep our area beautiful!