The Nelson Kootenay Lake area is a dream come true place to live. Imagine waking up to fresh air, breathtaking views, and friendly neighbours who know your name and support your local business. It's a small region, but with big possibilities. There are many avenues to pursue employment and to find the right place to live. Here is some information that we hope will get you heading in the right direction.
- Information on working permits and government protocols are on the Canada Immigration site.
- US Homeland Security will provide you current information on border regulations.
- USA Customs and Border Protection. Use Form 7523 if taking product across the border into the USA.
- Community Futures Central Kootenay is a not-for-profit community economic development organization. We are committed to helping people in the Central Kootenay region who are either operating or are planning to start their own business.
- Thank you for your interest in the Kootenay area. We are confident that you will be impressed with the business and lifestyle opportunities that exist in our growing and vibrant region. Imagine Kootenay is a joint-initiative of local governments, economic development organizations & Chambers of Commerce with the aim of attracting and retaining investment. Come and discover the advantages of doing business in the Kootenay region - where opportunity meets lifestyle.
Kootenay Career Development Society
- Kootenay Career Development Society is a dynamic, diverse and change-responsive centre of excellence that empowers individuals, employers and communities economically and socially through career development, employment counselling, and human resource planning.
- You Can Do That Here provides weekly podcasts on innovative ideas in the area. The opportunities are endless!
Kootenay Employment Services Society
- Whether you’re looking for work, considering a career change, investigating retraining or thinking of starting your own business KES has something for you.
Local Media and Marketing
- The Nelson Star, Kootenay Mountain Culture (KMC), Pennywise, Davidson Communications, The Nelson Daily, Kootenay Co-op Radio, EZ Rock and The Bridge are the voice of the people of the region. Read and listen to these local media to stay informed.
Real Estate and Land Development
- Throughout the Nelson Kootenay Lake region there are numerous realtors as well as land developers, each helping you find or develop the perfect place to live. We are currently creating a listing of those who support tourism initiatives and promote the region.
Welcome to our region: BC and the Kootenays
- Understanding the Kootenays, in context to the cities and communities and what industries have kept them alive, will help you understand where you may want to live. Read about the Kootenays through the Welcome BC website.
- Information about the City of Nelson, from garbage pickup, emergency information, council meetings to how to pay your hydro bill, can be found on the City of Nelson website. Welcome to Nelson!
- The Village of Kaslo is the oldest incorporated community in the Kootenays, and is located 70 kilometers north of Nelson on Highway 31 on the western shore of Kootenay Lake. With a rich and colourful history, this community is also accessible by boat or through its small airfield. Today, Kaslo and area is home to well over 1,000 residents.
- Steeped in history and awash in natural beauty, Kaslo Chamber of Commerce welcomes visitors with spectacular lake and mountain vistas, four season recreational opportunities, natural hot springs and exceptional shopping and dining.
- Nestled along the shores of Kootenay Lake, Balfour is a small but vibrant community, offering multitudes of opportunity for the avid hiker, biker, golfer, boater and fisherman. Fine-dining, great pub food and delicious baked goods will satisfy any craving.
- The East Shore is packed with artisans and stunning hikes, golfing, and places to shop, dine and stay. The Kootenay Lake Chamber of Commerce is a great place to get connected if you are starting a new business, or are an existing one.
- When operating a business it is always beneficial to connect with other business owners through the Nelson & District Chamber of Commerce. Our thriving, vibrant community of business operators helps improve the economics of the area, and improve the lifestyle for everyone.
- The City of Nelson has all the necessary information for residents and those looking to move here.
- Kootenay Lake is a productive ecosystem supporting abundant fish and wildlife, with land and water uses that support clean water and long-term sustainable communities. Friends of Kootenay Lake are stewards to the lake to help improve its health.
The Association des francophones des Kootenays Ouest (or AFKO, translated as the Francophone Association of West Kootenays) promotes French language and culture throughout the region.
The AFKO is a not-profit organisation which offers a variety of French-language services, among them a book and video library, weekly radio show, quarterly newsletter, summer day camp, travelling library (bibliobus), French-language directory of services, language courses, and assisted public access to computers and the internet. The AFKO also organizes a variety of events celebrating French culture and open to all Francophones and Francophiles in the region. Our community center located at 807 Baker street is open from monday to friday.
Read our visitors guide online or order a copy of the official visitor's guide and map for our region.