Despite our rural location, there are many easy ways to get to Nelson, Kaslo and the Kootenay Lake region.
Offering spectacular mountain scenery, driving is a popular option for many visitors. The approach is easy by car, RV or motorcycle, with access from several well maintained highways.
Winter brings a note of caution: driving conditions can change quickly at higher elevations. Winter tires are required, carrying chains is advisable, and delays for avalanche control and snow removal may be possible.
If you don't have your own vehicle, you can find rides to, from, and around the region using Kootenay Rideshare.
Visit DriveBC for up-to-date road information across British Columbia.
USA BORDER CROSSING POINTS
There are three main border crossing points:
- Metaline Falls/Nelway is open from 8am to 4pm. Phone: 509-446-4421
- Boundary/Waneta is open from 9am to 5pm.
- Frontier/Paterson is open 24 hours all year round.
Hours of operation vary at each crossing, and change during COVID-19 so please reference the border websites to confirm details close to your date of travel.
There are electric plugins across the region, and more coming all the time. In addition, there are recharging stations in nearby Salmo and Castlegar. Visit PlugShare for a map of all EV charging stations from your starting point to here.
Distance and Driving Times
To Kootenay Bay
|Crawford Bay||4.5km||5 min|
Glaicer Cab Company shuttles people around Nelson and up and down Kootenay Lake. They can be reached at 250-354-1111.
For more information on each airport and the services they provide please visit our page dedicated to Airports.
Castlegar Airport to Nelson
There are several ways you can get from the Castlegar Airport to Nelson.
- Rent a car
- Kootenay Rideshare
- Public Transit - Route 99: Kootenay Connector
- Kootenay Gateway (must book in advance)
Kelowna and Vancouver
- Silver City Stage Lines runs from Nelson to Kelowna, departing 6:30am from the A&W Restaurant (512 Railway Street, Nelson BC), Sunday to Friday. Visit their website to book your trip.
- EBus runs to and from Vancouver to Kelowna. To get to Vancouver it connects to the Silver City Stage Lines bus in Kelowna the following day.
Kaslo/Nelson to Vancouver
- Mountain Man Mike's is offering shuttles to and from Kaslo and Vancouver (with stops along the way).
Kaslo/Nelson to Calgary
- Mountain Man Mike's is offering shuttles to and from Kaslo and Calgary (with stops along the way).
Whitewater Ski Resort Shuttle
The Whitewater Ski Resort Shuttle offers slopefront service every day! With daily operation throughout the season, multiple pick up/drop off points throughout Nelson, and pickups timed to get you to the mountain on time for first chair, getting to Whitewater has never been so easy! Visit Whitewater's website for details on rates, shuttle times and pickup locations.
Spokane Airport Shuttle (Winter Only)
Spokane International Airport is located 250km south of Nelson and services a variety of airlines with daily flights to major US cities. Driving from Spokane airport to Nelson takes approx 3.5 to 4.5 hrs depending on driving conditions, route, and border crossing times. Kootenay Gateway runs charters, as well as daily winter service.
International Selkirk Loop
Travelling between the USA and Canada is welcomed by all travellers. The International Selkirk Loop hosts a website, mobile app, and travel guide to help you travel around Washington, Idaho and British Columbia. If you want to just travel in Canada, they have lots of information on travel loops.
Poparide is a reputable rideshare service that connects drivers with passengers looking for an affordable, easy and convenient way of travelling between cities throughout Canada. Check out their website for more information.