You are here
Despite our rural location, there are many easy ways to get to Nelson, Kaslo and the Kootenay Lake region.
Kaslo and Nelson each have a local airport. Castlegar and Trail have regional airports which can reach international airports in Vancouver, Calgary, and more.
For more information on air travel, please see our page dedicated to airports.
Greyhound buses stop in Nelson as part of routes that go both east and west. Contact Greyhound Bus Lines directly for pickup and departure times.
(See further down this page for buses from Spokane Airport.)
Offering spectacular mountain scenery, driving is a popular option for many visitors. The approach is easy by car, RV or motorcycle, with access from several well maintained highways.
Winter brings a note of caution: driving conditions can change quickly at higher elevations. Winter tires are required, carrying chains is advisable, and delays for avalanche control and snow removal may be possible.
If you don't have your own vehicle, you can find rides to, from, and around the region using Kootenay Rideshare.
Visit Drive BC for up-to-date road information.
Distances and Driving Times to Nelson
Distances and Driving Times to Balfour
Distances and Driving Times to Kaslo
Glaicer Cab Company shuttles people around Nelson and up and down Kootenay Lake. They can be reached at 250-354-1111.
Getting here from Spokane Airport: The Shuttle Bus
Spokane International Airport is located 250km south of Nelson and services a variety of airlines with daily flights to most major US cities. Driving from Spokane airport to Nelson takes approx 3.5 to 4.5 hrs depending on driving conditions, route, and border crossing times.
Queen City Shuttle goes to the Spokane Airport year round. (In the winter it runs seven days a week.) Book your charter shuttle at 1-250-352-9829.
Queen City Shuttle: Winter 2016/17 Schedule
December 10, 2016 to April 2, 2017
Please read below before booking.
- The Shuttle's latest departure from the Spokane Airport is 2:30pm.
- The Shuttle departs from Spokane Airport outside baggage claim 1, 2 & 3 in terminal A & B
- Spokane Airport Pick up location – the shuttle will be waiting at the Alaska Airline Departure Terminal
Nelson to Spokane Airport
- Departing Nelson – 7:00am
- Departing Castlegar Sandman - 7:35am
- Departing Rossland Prestige Hotel - 8:00am
- Departing Red Mountain - 8:15am
- Arriving Spokane Airport - 11:30am (this will depend on the border crossing)
Spokane Airport to Nelson
- Departing Spokane Airport - 2:30pm
- Arriving: Rossland - 5:30pm
- Arriving: Nelson - 6:30pm
One way fare is $125 + 5% GST. Two way fare is $198 + 5% GST.
100% payment is required 48 hours before pickup. Cancellations will only be accepted if written notice is received in Queen City office no later than 48 hours prior to booking.
For additional information call 1-250-352-9829.