Winter Staycation in Paradise
Winter Staycation in Paradise
Welcome to the highlight reel of winter in paradise in "our place". We’ve compiled some of the “greatest hits” in the region for your upcoming winter Staycation. Although we are under strict travel restrictions, due to COVID-19, locals can travel SMART in our region and enjoy all we have to offer. With nothing stopping you, let’s get into it!
STAY IN THE REGION
Ainsworth Hot Springs
- Ainsworth Hot Springs Resort | Book your stay at Ainsworth Hot Springs Resort and gain access to the hot therapeutic waters of their pool and cave. Their tagline is “For body, mind & soul.” Need we say more? Give yourself some time to restore.
- Dock ’n’ Duck Lodge | Settle into a home away from home with their apartment-style suites, complete with full kitchenettes.
- Kootenay Lakeview Lodge | Rooms with a view is their specialty, perched above Kootenay Lake and surrounded by the Selkirk and Purcell Mountains.
- Tara Shanti | A brand new Waterfall Suite complete with a kitchen is awaiting. Book now to get their winter discount.
- Kokanee Chalets | One of the first things that pops into our head when we think “Staycation” is a cozy cabin and the Kokanee Chalets do not disappoint. Wake up to freshly baked goods at Red’s Bread & Bakery, your next door neighbour.
- Sunshine Bay Retreat | Stay cozy in luxury linens while being immersed in wilderness and surrounded by the shores of Kootenay Lake, a mountainside meditation pond and organic gardens.
- Kaslo Motel | Escape to your own private sanctuary in a stand alone cabins that is perfect for the family or couples getaway.
- Kaslo Hotel | Classy, cozy, and rooms with a view captures the accommodation here, overlooking either Front Street or Kootenay Lake.
There are a lot of options in Nelson for a place to stay. But to help refine your choice here are some suggestions:
- Hotel: Hume, Adventure Hotel, Cloudside, Prestige Lakeside, Best Western, Savoy | All outstanding rooms, views and top notch dining nearby.
- Inn & Motel: Prestige Inn, Alpine Inn & Suites, Villa Motel, Dancing Bear Inn
SHOPPING & ARTISANS
What better way to feel like you’re on a timeless journey than to travel by a free ferry to reach a magical destination of artisans. Head into the heart of Crawford Bay to discover craftsman and artisans such as Barefoot Handweaving and Kootenay Forge.
Seek some adrenaline? Leap into pow and chase freedom at Whitewater Ski Resort, or ski some groomed nordic tracks at the Nelson Nordic Ski Club, only 15 minutes from Nelson. There’s also the option to stay close to the city and experience Nelson’s Rail Trail for a snowshoe, walk or nordic ski after a big snowfall.
Kaslo, dubbed the “Switzerland of the Americas” is where you can embrace cross country and backcountry ski trails that melt into hiking trails in the summer. The Kaslo River Trail is magical as you meander through the trees to play a mythical game of Hide-n-Seek. Or stroll through a Self-guided Heritage Tour with a hot chocolate in hand under fat snowflakes, illuminated by the warm streetlights and shops lining the snow-covered streets.
On the East Shore, after a relaxing ferry ride, head to Kokanee Springs Resort for a snowshoe and take in the fresh air and big mountain landscapes.
FOOD & DRINK
Time to fuel up and dive into freshly launched apres ski specials at Nelson Brewing Company, Cantina Del Centro, Marzano or Yum Son. If you’ve already hit up those apres ski treats all week and in need of more stoke, you’re in luck as there’s over 80 places to enjoy in the region. Or, take the quick n’ easy Harrop Cable Ferry and grab some freshly baked treats from the Procter Village Cafe - it’s worth the crossing.
On the rest days where you’re still craving that crisp fresh air, head to one of the many outdoor patios in Nelson, Kootenay Bay and Kaslo. Places like Pitchfork Eatery and Main Street Diner will keep you toasty with heated patios while the Ale Trail from Nelson to Kaslo will warm you up from the inside.
FIND AWESOME, BE AWESOME
Need more magic during this challenging time? We challenge you to find some awesome Kootenay flavour - whether that’s feeling the sparkle in the new “dangerously crushable” Power Leopard IPA from Nelson Brewing Company or getting goosebumps during a tour of the new “As Immense As The Sky” exhibit at The Nelson Museum, Archives & Gallery. With so many local businesses working hard to capture your heart, prepare to feel as if it’s your first time setting foot in this region. Feel those butterflies? The euphoria? That awesome? Don’t say we didn’t warn you. Staycation and find awesome.
#explorekootenaylake | #findingawesome