You are here
Study at Kalein Centre
“Kalein” is a Celtic word that means “calling forth the beautiful.” It offers an invitation to call forward all that is beautiful in ourselves and others.
Kalein Centre is a campus where dialogue and education programs are fully integrated with services providing care and resources for individuals facing life limiting illness. Through our model of hospice care integrated with dialogue and education, we offer opportunities to deepen understanding, compassion and connection with humanity and spirit, and from this place, expand the possibilities of what it means to live a vital life from birth to the moment of death.
Exploring and evolving how we live, how we learn, and how we care for one another, particularly at end of life is tender territory, rich in emotional experience. Providing a place of beauty, tranquility and safety, where people feel free and supported in undertaking these explorations, is paramount. The vision and mission of Kalein Centre is rooted in the creation and tending of this environment.
Shifting social and cultural understandings of what it means to live fully through all stages of life, including end-of- life, can have a profound influence on everything from our mental and emotional health, to our senses of peace and personal dignity, to the ways in which we compassionately care for others, to the policies and strategies we evolve to sustain community vitality and resiliency.
Kalein Centre program offerings, include:
- Death Cafes giving participants the opportunity to gently enter into the conversation around death and loss, sharing and exploring their feelings and experiences together.
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction oriented towards healthcare professionals and community caregivers who experience high levels of stress due to the complex and ever present demands that go hand-in-hand with caring for another.
- The Liminal Leaning Lab, bringing together thought leaders and key influencers to creatively explore the many aspects of creating compassionate community.
- Writing Through Grief, an experiential creative writing workshop exploring the territory of grief and loss through written expression.
- The Resource Library, a public resource featuring a wide variety of books and resources addressing grief and loss, death and living fully.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
To learn more about Kalein Centre programs and services, please visit the Centre and contact us at:
402 West Richards Street
P.O. Box 266
Nelson, BC V1L 5P9