You are here
Cycle Quiet, Well-Maintained Highways Along Kootenay Lake
If you’re a road cycling enthusiast, you know how precious kilometre after kilometre of well-maintained roads with low traffic can be. The Nelson and Kootenay Lake region has several road cycling tours that take you along highways and roads through some of the most gorgeous country you’ll ever experience. It feels remote, and yet there are ample cafes, rest stops and accommodations along the routes, making for a near perfect road cycling experience.
MSBike West Kootenay Challenge
We can’t wait to welcome you. The MS Bike West Kootenay Challenge, which began in 2011, is now a signature event that has gotten rave reviews from many who have taken on the challenge. This extraordinary two-day MS Bike tour in the Selkirk Mountains along the shores of Kootenay Lake.
Many Road Cycling Routes Around Kootenay Lake
- Embark on a ride through Rosemont and Blewett in Nelson, and even farther into the Slocan Valley to the local favourite at Frog Peak junction, through Krestova to Castlegar and back.
- The Kaslo Chamber of Commerce lists many routes on their website too, that take you into the northern area of Kootenay Lake.
- The Great Trail offers a variey of rides on a 2% grade on the Burlington Rail Trail in the Nelson area.
- Riding along Highway 3 from Nelson to Balfour, Ainsworth, Kaslo and Lardeau will blow your mind. Quiet roads, undulating terrain and spectacular views.
- The International Selkirk Loop puts on an annual 7 Day Ride, WACANID (Washintong, Canada and Idaho).
Kootenay Cycling Adventures
Kootenay Cycling Adventures offers fully supported and self supported road biking tours in the region. The signature "West Koot Loop" tour covers 218km over 3 days and includes all accommodations and meals.
High quality road and touring bicycles are available to rent. With a magical combination of quiet roads, genuine mountain towns, spectacular scenery and delicious culinary creations, a cycling trip to the West Kootenays deserves to be on your bucket list!
Nelson and Kaslo are Bike Friendly Towns
We know how important it is for road cyclists to feel that they’re in a bike friendly town. Nelson has many bike shops that will help you with all that you need, and many of our places to stay are very bike friendly. All the transit buses and ferries accommodate cyclists, and the highways are mostly wide and well maintained. There is very little traffic along our highways, and our back roads are extremely quiet.