Cat and Heli Skiing
Backcountry Skiing Adventures
Our deep snow and steep vertical attracts pro skiers, snowboarders, heli-skiiers and ski-touring fanatics from around the world. We are the Cat Ski Capitol, because of this well-designed terrain, precipitation, and temperatures, with more Cat Ski operations here than anywhere else in the world. Cat skiing was born here in 1975 with Selkirk Wilderness Skiing (now Selkirk Snowcat Skiing), which is fitting to match our title.
From the easily-accessed peaks outside the Whitewater ski area, to the remote alpine bowls of Kokanee Glacier Provincial Park, to the mystic Monashees and rugged Selkirk mountain ranges, adventure awaits.
Access incredible scenery and virgin powder through heli-skiing with Stellar Heli Skiing or Snowwater Heli Skiing. Experienced guides can take you on everything from long powder descents to slalom runs through old-growth tree glades. Safety in the backcountry is first priority. Safety equipment and avalanche checks are required, daily.
Cat-Skiing Near Nelson and Kaslo
With more cat ski operators in our region, than anywhere else in the world, we are the Cat Ski Capital of the World! The region offers incredible snowcat-accessible terrain, serving up wide bowls, 360-degree vistas, and day-long vertical drops of up to 18,000 ft or more. You can choose to ski a day or a week. Take it from us, stay as long as you can. It will be the best ski days of your life.
- Baldface Lodge - over 32,000 acres with open bowls, peaks, trees and always fresh tracks
- Retallack - one of the first operators to gain the exclusive 4-Key Green Key rating for environmental sustainability
- Selkirk Snowcat Skiing - this is where cat skiing began in 1975 and they still are recognized as one of the top places to cat ski
- White Grizzly - steep treed terrain in the Selkirk mountains
- Valhalla Powdercats - Single or multi-day trips or combine with heli-skiing
All of the cat ski operators have lodging at their site, or an affiliated hotel in Kaslo or Nelson. To warm up the legs, ski a few days at Whitewater Ski Resort, it is noted as "Best Ski Town in North America".